Motivation and Incentive


I’ve been thinking a lot about motivation lately.  Primarily because it is the single most important challenge I see with a utopian society that is prosperous enough to provide for free the basic means of life for every individual in the world.  I firmly believe that for our one world dream to occur we need to ensure that everyone everywhere is provided the basic necessities and is free to pursue whatever dreams and endeavours they are most passionate about.

The worlds explained in the Venus Project  and at paradism.org are some of my favorite portrayals of a utopian world that could work for us.  However, they both lack detailed explanations about motivation and incentives for work.   Once all our basic needs are completely accounted for by automation and robotics, what will we do with ourselves all day?  Some will likely sit around and gorge themselves on all forms of entertainment and gluttony but I would like to believe that many of us will see beyond that to a greater purpose and find true harmony and fulfillment in life. 

I like to look toward many of the retirees out there that continue to stay active in volunteer work and other projects throughout their lives.  I try to picture what the world would be like if everyone could earn enough to retiree by the age of 30 and just focus on family and personal passions for the rest of their lives.  I think as long as it was socially acceptable this kind of arrangement could work out quite well.  Only those who truly enjoy their work and are passionate about what they do would continue and it would ensure that there are always lots of jobs and opportunities in the labour market for those that really want them.

I think the key to a system like this is ensuring that motivation and incentive always exist and that people are fully educated toward those things.  I don’t believe that a totally moneyless system could ever work, but I do believe if money is redistributed in a way that everyone gets just enough for basic food, shelter, education and health care, than the incentive money can bring to strive for more can still play an important role in our future.

After much consideration though I believe there is a much greater incentive than money that will dominate our world in the near future.  That is social and family connections.  There are many people today born into wealthy families that really don’t ever need to work, but they choose to because their families and friends expect them to.  Perhaps they work more for the prestige and respect they earn more than for the money.  We all want our family and friends to be proud of us at some level.  Also, I think we all have some greater purpose in life that we want to accomplish whatever we individually decide that purpose may be.  This purpose then becomes the main motivating factor for all of us.

Some may want a big mansion, luxury car, and lots of expensive vacations, and though there is nothing inherently wrong with these desires they will have to work harder to receive them in the future I envision.  The goals that will be easier to attain are the simple things like a happy family and a safe neighborhood free of crime and addiction.  Personally, I see my own purpose in life is to do everything I can to help bring about this one world dream for everyone.  However, I’ll also certainly enjoy a lot of family time, movies, books, games, and the three big L’s of Learning, Love and Laughter along the way.

What is it that motivates you?  What would you do if you had the means to retire tomorrow?  How much money is enough for you to live a happy fulfilling life?   Let me know in the comments or send me a note anytime!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blueprint for Utopia

One World Dream

The Face of the Enemy